The smartphone era has definitely arrived. More people are now using mobile devices than desktop computers. In 2013, 4.5 billion mobile phone users worldwide were using their phones to surf the Internet to look for information and services. That was two years ago–just imagine how much that number has grown.
If your school isn’t utilizing a mobile website, prospective families may not be able to find you or the information they need!
Here are five reasons why you need a mobile website:
- Not having a mobile optimized website is a huge mistake. Mobile optimization is a part of responsive design, which means your website automatically knows what sort of device a user is accessing it from and responds appropriately by showing up quickly and attractively. If someone is using an iPhone, a device with a relatively small screen, the website will adapt to that size and position content vertically so the user simply has to scroll to find the info they need, rather than trying to click around and jump from page to page. Without mobile optimization, the potential maze of clicks and pages can quickly annoy the user and cause them to abandon your website. You don’t want that.
- A mobile optimized website can be viewed anytime and anywhere mobile cell phone coverage is available. Most people aren’t carrying an internet connected laptop around. Our smartphones are our computers, especially when we are on the go. Mobile optimization means your website is accessible to anyone who may be searching for your school—no matter what device they are using.
- In most situations, mobile website visitors are looking for quick information and access to your business. On the go visitors can easily find you and reach out to you via one-click calling, one-click e-mail, and instant directions. The customer doesn’t have to jump through hoops to get the information they need.
- Mobile-friendly websites receive higher mobile search engine rankings. As mobile website viewers reach higher and higher numbers, Google has decided to make it easier to find relevant, mobile-optimized websites. To implement this, at the end of February Google announced it will “use mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal.” This change will go into effect on April 21, 2015, and it “significantly impacts” search, Google said. This is huge news and a major reason for having a mobile website.
- Competing schools in your area may already have a mobile website which means you need one as soon as possible too, or you’ll risk losing prospective students to your competitor because of their better mobile presence. Don’t get left in the dust!