Does your school have an Instagram account? It can be a great school marketing tool! You can share photos (and cross-post them to Facebook or Twitter) and interact with parents and students. But you can also use it as a way to reach prospective families! Instagram’s video capability offers your school an exciting new way to quickly show snippets of campus life and school events.
A few important things you need to know about Instagram videos:
- They are only 15 seconds long.
- You can now import videos saved on your phone! See instructions here. (This means you can save promotional video to your phone that you’ve already taken and re-upload it to Instagram.)
Need some ideas for what to post? Here are some ways to get started using Instagram video as a promotional tool for your school:
- Do short interviews with teachers about what they’re most excited for this school year.
- Record classroom tours.
- Do 15 second book reviews featuring students of various ages.
- Upload footage from sports events, music concerts, drama performances and more!
- Do a Homework Help Tip of the day.
- Record parent testimonials. (“What is your favorite thing about our school?”)
- Tape events unique to your school. Do you have a really great fundraiser? An awesome student-led event? Highlight what makes your school stand out!
- Record sports team athletic drills or music group practices using the stop motion component to create an artsy feel.
- Do a weekly Ask the Principal segment.
- Ask students to explain in two or three words why prospective students should consider attending their school.
To maximize the views of your Instagram videos, you should cross-post them to your Twitter feed and Facebook Page! If your school has a blog, you could link to the videos there too.